Kalyan ‘triple murder’ case probe transferred to Thane crime branch

Officials said the decision was taken keeping in mind the sensitivity of the case.

Written by Gautam S Mengle | Mumbai | Published: October 16, 2013 1:00:40 am

The Thane police,investigating the death of Kalyan residents Subhash and Pramodini Wankhede and their son Dnyaneshwar,suspect that the 30-year-old son frantically sent messages for help and alerted the police of a ‘robbery’ after he killed his parents.

On Tuesday,the case was transferred to the Thane police crime branch for further investigation. Officials said the decision was taken keeping in mind the sensitivity of the case.

The police are relying on post mortem examination reports,which will show the difference in the time of death of the parents and son. The timing of Dnyaneshwar’s text messages and call to the police control room would also be probed to ascertain the sequence of events,investigating officers said on Tuesday.

Subhash (65),Pramodini (55) and Dnyaneshwar (30) were found dead in their apartment on Agra Road,Kalyan,on Monday night. A series of text messages sent by Dnyaneshwar to his brother-in-law as well as a ‘distress call’ made to the Thane police control room initially pointed to the incident being a ruthlessly executed robbery. However,as investigation progressed,the police began to doubt if Dnyaneshwar could have killed himself after killing his parents.

“A provisional post mortem report states that Subhash and Pramidini died of smothering,while Dnyaneshwar died of asphyxia,presumably after inhaling a large dose of nitrogen from a cylinder that was found near his body. A pipe from the cylinder was forced into his mouth and a plastic bag had been tied around his head. We are waiting for the detailed post mortem reports because we want to know the time when Dnyaneshwar and his parents died,” said a crime branch officer.

Detailing the holes in the ‘violent robbery’ theory,the officer added,“It is unlikely that a robber,who smothered the couple to death,would suddenly change his modus operandi and chose to kill the third victim in a different manner. Also,if the pipe had been forced into his mouth and the plastic bag had been tied by force,there would have been some signs of a scuffle. Further,there were also no signs of forced entry into the house,neither was anything missing. All valuables were untouched. The door to their house was not forced open according to witnesses”.

The police will on Wednesday record statements of the relatives of the deceased to check for any possible motive for Dnyaneshwar to murder his parents,including property disputes and disagreements over his marriage,the police said.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App