A 26-year-old man was killed after two air conditioner compressors burst on the terrace of Odeon Mall in Ghatkopar on Saturday morning.
The deceased was on a routine inspection of the air conditioners when the mishap occurred.
According to the police, the deceased, Nasir Shaikh, was employed with a private firm contracted to maintain the air conditioners of the mall that houses Ghatkopar’s popular Odeon Cinema.
On Saturday morning, the police said, Shaikh and his colleague visited the terrace of the mall to inspect the air conditioners. “Some time later, the colleague went downstairs to get some materials,” said Vinay Rathod, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone VII.
- Air Conditioners with 24 degrees Celsius as default temperature: Here’s why this is a good idea
- Telangana: 10 killed in fire at cracker unit
- Mumbai-Agra highway 10 killed, 12 injured as minibus rams into stationary truck
- Delhi: Four, including children, dead in two separate fire incidents
- One dead, five injured in AC blast on DU’s South Campus
- 1 killed,3 injured in AC compressor explosion
He added that Shaikh noticed a leak in one of the ducts and set about cleaning another part of the air conditioner with soap water. “We are not sure what manoeuvre was made but two of the compressors burst at around 10.45 am,” Rathod said.
Shaikh was killed due to force of the blast, while his colleague was unhurt. Several fire tenders were rushed to the spot, though there was no blaze.
“We registered a case of accidental death. We are awaiting the report of the fire brigade and after studying it, will decide whether there is case of negligence,” Rathod said.