The anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) Sunday arrested a Home Guard and her associate for posing as police officers to allegedly extort money from a mechanic, officials said.
The Thane unit of the ACB, which laid the trap, has identified the Home Guard as Kalpana Patil (25), and her associate as Aalam Shaikh (30).
- Junior clerk arrested for taking bribe at Udaipur
- Thane policeman caught taking Rs 5,000 bribe
- I-T officials among three convicted for graft
- Five held for ‘posing as Anti-Corruption Bureau officials’
- Two Bhiwandi scribes held by Thane police for extortion
- ACB left wringing its hands as Thane cop refuses to touch bribe money
ACB sleuths said Patil and Shaikh had extorted Rs 20,000 from the mechanic. “Patil contacted the complainant for more money, threatening him with criminal action if he did not pay.”
“The complainant approached us on Saturday evening and a trap was laid,” said an ACB official. Patil and Shaikh were nabbed near Reti Bandar in Mumbra while accepting Rs 20,000 in cash.
“The case has been transferred to the Mumbra police. Patil is with the Home Guards but since she was nabbed while off duty, the Mumbra police will probe the matter,” said an official.