Hiranandani case: State submits probe report in court, builder told to file reply

The court granted Hiranandani’s counsel Shirish Gupte the liberty to file a reply in the case.

| Mumbai | Published: July 3, 2014 3:45:27 am

The state government, on Wednesday, submitted the investigation report to the Bombay High Court in connection with a complaint filed by a 28-year-old Powai resident, who alleged that Sanjay Sansare, a local goon, had been threatening the residents of Jai Bhim Nagar to vacate the premises in the slum at the behest of Hiranandani Developers co-founder and managing director Niranjan Hiranandani.

The court granted Hiranandani’s counsel Shirish Gupte the liberty to file a reply in the case. Besides Hiranandani, the others accused in the case are Powai senior police inspector Y L Jadhav, two men identified as Sanjay Sansare and Prakash Wadkar and four others identified by the complainant as ‘Hiranandani’s men’.

On June 24, the high court had observed that the allegations made by the woman were of “very serious nature,” and ordered the police to register an FIR in the case within 24 hours. A day later, the crime branch registered an FIR naming eight accused in the case. The woman, in her June 17 complaint, had also alleged that some men had assaulted her husband at Hiranandani’s office in Powai.

Additional public prosecutor Purnima Kantharia told the court that the police seized the CCTV footage of Hiranandani’s office with the help of the cyber crime cell.

“Have you taken help of forensics?” the court asked. Kantharia said the details of the CCTV footage had been sent for forensic tests. “The doctors and chemical analysis experts were also present at the spot,” Kantharia told the court.

“Prima facie how long will you (police) take for investigation? Two weeks?” a bench of Justice V M Kanade and P D Kode asked. Kantharia said two weeks would not be sufficient and asked the court to grant them four weeks to investigate. Kantharia stated that the police had so far recorded the statements of “more than seven witnesses.”

The complainant’s lawyer, Gunratan Sadavarte, asked the court to grant him permission to file an additional affidavit. “I want to bring on record two-three deaths that took place earlier because of the atrocities by private respondents,” he told the court.

The alleged incident took place on June 14, according to the complainant. She alleged that she was raped by Jadhav, Sansare and Wadkar in the morning, but when she went to the Powai police station to lodge a complaint, the police allegedly turned her away.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement