Follow Us:
Monday, July 23, 2018

Hands tied on action against cellphone towers: BMC chief

At a grievance redressal meeting with Congress MP Priya Dutt,Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte Saturday requested people to file PILs with regard to the Bombay High Court’s stay order on the demolition of all cellphone towers in the city

Written by Alison Saldanha | Mumbai | Published: September 8, 2013 3:21:22 am

At a grievance redressal meeting with Congress MP Priya Dutt,Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte Saturday requested people to file PILs with regard to the Bombay High Court’s stay order on the demolition of all cellphone towers in the city. Kunte said BMC’s hands were tied following the stay order by the court last year.

“The High Court has stayed demolitions of all towers in the city and so,even the illegal cellphone towers are protected under this stay. However,since citizens continue to fear the possible effects of radiation of cellphone towers in their vicinity,I request all those concerned to file PILs intervening in the HC case and help us,” said Kunte to citizens present at the meeting on Saturday.

Official figures released by BMC at the meeting show that of the 4,806 cellphone towers in Mumbai,3,661 towers are illegal and hence protected by the stay.

“We are not shirking our duty. However,we can only do what our statutory duties allow us to do. Once the stay order is lifted,we will demolish the illegal towers. Till then,our hands are tied,” Kunte added.

alison.saldanha@expressindia.com

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement