Gas cylinder blast in Santacruz chawl kills fourhttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/gas-cylinder-blast-in-santacruz-chawl-kills-four/

Gas cylinder blast in Santacruz chawl kills four

The incident when one of the family members was trying to change an empty gas cylinder with a filled one.

gas cylinder, blast, cylinder blast, Santacruz chawl, Santacruz chawl cylinder blast, LPG blast, LPG cylinder blast, mumbai news, city news, local news, maharashtra news, Indian Express
The house at Bhola Singh Chawl on Golibar Road in Santacruz where the blast took place on Thursday. (Source: Express Photo by Amit Chakravarty)

Four persons of a family lost their lives while three others sustained injuries Thursday after an LPG cylinder exploded at Bhola Singh Chawl on Golibar Road in Santacruz. The incident occurred around 11 am when one of the family members was trying to change an empty gas cylinder with a filled one, police said.

The deceased are Rajdev Dikshit (50), Kapil Dikshit (40), Rajendra Dikshit (30) and Yashwant Dikshit (18) who were staying on the ground floor of the structure. “The fire immediately spread in the room damaging furniture and clothes. Two died due to suffocation as smoke completely engulfed the room,” said a police officer.

[related-post]

The injured are Sailkumari Dikshit (40) who has suffered 75 per cent burns, Meera Upadhyay and Shobha Rajendra Dikshit (35). All three were rushed to the civic-run V N Desai hospital. Shobha Dikshit is admitted with 15 per cent burns while Upadhyay is getting treated for shock. Both resided on the first floor of the chawl.

“Upadhyay did not receive any burn injury,” said Ashok Bapu, superintendent of the hospital. Saikumari was later transferred to Kasturba Hospital, Chinchpokli, for advanced care and support. “She is in a critical condition,” said hospital superintendent Dr Chandrakant Pawar.
According to the police, the Dikshit family works at a printing press in Santacruz and lived on rent in the ground plus one shanty.

Advertising

“The accident happened when Sailkumari was cooking. One of the gas cylinders was almost over when and she attempted to fix another cylinder to the stove,” said Subhash Wavale, senior inspector, Vakola police station.

He added that Sailkumari did not switch off the connection of the first cylinder before making the switch. “She uncorked the second cylinder and there was an instant explosion,” Wavale added.

mumbai.newsline@expressindia.com

For latest coverage on Haryana and Maharashtra Elections, log on to IndianExpress.com. We bring you the fastest assembly election 2019 updates from each constituency in both the states.