Mumbai: Journalist killed, colleagues covering bar raid attacked

Two reporters had a scuffle with the employers at the bar, while Raghvendra Dubey died en route to his home.

Written by Rohit Alok | Mumbai | Updated: July 18, 2015 5:56:35 am
Journalist protest against attack on Journalist during Monsoon sessions day Five at Vidhan Bhavan on Friday. Express photo by Prashant Nadkar, Mumbai, 17/07/2015 Journalist protest against attack on a local journalist during Monsoon sessions day Five at Vidhan Bhavan on Friday. (Source: Express photo by Prashant Nadkar, Mumbai)

The Mira Road police and the local crime branch are investigating the murder of a Bhayander-based journalist who died after sustaining multiple stabs wounds and injuries to his private parts Friday morning. Police said the motive for the murder remained unknown.

The police added that two more journalists, the deceased’s colleagues, were injured after allegedly being attacked while covering a raid conducted by the Mira Road police on a bar from where 12 female dancers were rescued in the early hours of Friday. The police identified the deceased as Raghvendra Dubey (44), the owner and journalist of local weekly Khushboo Ujala. Dubey was found in a pool of blood less than 1.5 km away from the Mira Road police station around 5.30 am Friday.

Share This Article
Related Article

Police sources said the other injured journalists were Santosh Mishra (45) and Shashi Sharma (49). The duo had reportedly gone to the White House bar in Naya Nagar, Mira Road, where the police raid was under way around 1.30 am.

Dubey’s family claims that he had been drinking at two different bars on Thursday night before being called to the police station to help the police trace his friend Mishra who had reportedly fled the scene after being assaulted outside the White House Bar. “My DySP (Suhas Bawache) contacted Dubey early on Friday morning.

Dubey was at the police station from 2 am till around 5 am and was attacked after he left. He was found near S K Stone on the Mira-Bhayander Road. He was rushed to a hospital in Kandivali but was declared dead before admission. We have arrested six persons, including the bar owner. The precise motive is still unclear,” said Rajesh Pradhan, SP, Thane Rural.

“Dubey was alive when he was found by the police. He had a severe head injury and had lost a lot of blood. There are 10 stab wounds on Dubey’s body, the injuries were caused by a sharp object. We are still awaiting the medical reports,” said Suhas Bawache, dsp, Thane Rural.

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App