ON TUESDAY morning, a sexagenarian labourer saw a girl weeping and attempting to cross the LBS Road. While the man was helping her cross the T-junction near Sion railway station, he noticed blood stains on her frock and immediately took her to the nearest police chowky.
The five-year-old told the officers at beat chowky number 3 of the Dharavi police that she had been sexually assaulted. She was rushed to Sion hospital.
The police are on the lookout for the unidentified man who allegedly raped the minor near a dumping ground located close to the railway tracks.
- Man ‘raped’ minor help for three years, kept her captive
- Delhi: Man mistakes constable for trafficker, tries to ‘sell’ minor girl to him
- Lucknow: Four minor boys ‘rape’ six-year-old, one held
- Out on bail in rape case, man kills victim’s uncle
- Amid outrage over Kathua, four rape cases lodged in single day in UP; victims in three are children
- Another minor girl raped in Odisha, 5th such case in 6 days
Initial inquiry reveals that the girl lives in Shivaji Nagar and was allegedly kidnapped by the accused Monday night from near her home.
“Her parents have been notified about the incident and we are probing the matter further. We have registered a case of rape and under relevant sections of POCSO Act,” said Srirang Nadgauda, assistant commissioner of police (Sion Division).
Besides speaking to possible eye-witnesses in the area around the two entry points that lead to the crime spot, the police are using a dog squad team to assist them with the investigation. The dogs reached the spot around 5.30 pm Tuesday.
“Several suspicious items have been found in the area. We even found blood on the spot, and sent it for forensic analysis,” said an investigator. Officers suspect the accused could be a repeat offender from the Dharavi area.“We have asked the Shivaji Nagar police to help by making inquiries with people around her residence,” said an officer.