scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Sunday, May 16, 2021

Court: Kasab killed Omble not Kamte; unsure about Karkare,Salaskar

Holding Ajmal Kasab guilty of murder,waging war on the nation and criminal conspiracy in the Mumbai terror attacks,in which 165 were killed...

Written by Sukanya Shetty | Mumbai |
May 4, 2010 11:21:15 pm

Holding Ajmal Kasab guilty of murder,waging war on the nation and criminal conspiracy in the Mumbai terror attacks,in which 165 were killed,a Special Sessions Court on Monday found him directly responsible for killing seven persons,including constable Tukaram Omble and Kuber navigator Amarsinh Solanki. Kasab did not shoot police officer Ashok Kamte. Slain terrorist Abu Ismail shot him but evidence was inconclusive in the case of ATS chief Hemant Karkare and encounter cop Vijay Salaskar,the verdict said.

“As the bullets had passed through the bodies of both Karkare and Salaskar,the court cannot come to a conclusion on who shot them. However,it is proven that Ismail shot Kamte,” said the court.

Based on ballistic reports and expert opinion,conclusive proof of Kasab’s direct role in seven killings was found. “Kasab shot seven persons with his rifle,establishing direct involvement,” special Judge M L Tahaliyani said. The court’s observation supported Kasab’s guilt plea to the court in July last year saying he acted on the orders of Ismail.

“Kasab is found directly guilty of killing Tukaram Omble,Amarsinh Solanki,Sitaram Mallappa,Rehmatullah,Vinod Gupta,Ambadas Pawar and Rajaf Ansari. He is responsible for abetting the murder of others killed on the night of November 26,” observed the court.

Kasab,in his guilt plea, had retracted from an earlier statement to say he had no role in killing Solanki. He also disowned his earlier statement on having killed Omble,saying he had said it under duress. He had earlier confessed before a magistrate that LeT carried out the attacks and he and nine others had come from Pakistan.

Accepting his confession partially,the court observed that Ismail,who had undergone training at LeT camps,was not part of the 15 originally trained for the 26/11 attack. “Of the 15,two deserted and four did not qualify to be sent to Mumbai. Ismail was brought in later. He was separately briefed by one Amir Sahib,who handed over the Global Positioning System to Ismail and he was assigned to take care of the operation at CST,” observed the court.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
x