scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Saturday, June 19, 2021

Copyright issue plagues Shah Rukh Khan’s Om Shanti Om

Notice first served in 2008,writer says he could not pursue case due to his divorce

Written by MAYURA JANWALKAR | Mumbai |
June 18, 2013 12:51:14 am

Nearly six years after the movie’s release,Ajay Monga — claiming to be the original script writer of the Shah Rukh Khan-Deepika Padukone starrer Om Shanti Om,that released in November 2007 — has sought restoration of a suit he had filed earlier alleging infringement of his copyright.

On Monday,Monga’s lawyer J Shekhar told the court that he could not pursue his suit that was dismissed by the court on April 18,as he was going through a divorce and facing personal difficulties.

He said that Monga,who now lives in Kandivali,needed to get two documents as evidence to support his suit,which were in his old house in Malad. He could not get them earlier as he was going through divorce proceedings.

The court,however,asked Monga why he did not inform the court about his difficult. “You get so many opportunities and you don’t tell the court?” Justice S J Kathawalla said. The court has asked Monga to be present in court on Tuesday when his plea for restoration of his suit will be heard further.

Monga in his suit filed in 2008,had claimed that he had written a script titled ‘The Silent Movie’ which was sent to many producers including Khan’s Red Chillies Entertainment (RCE).

He said RCE subsequently released Om Shanti Om. Monga claimed that he had complained of the alleged copyright infringement to the Film Writers’ Association in Mumbai,but it went unheeded.

“Monga was approached by a south Indian director. But instead of making the movie with a south Indian actor,Vikram,we wanted to make it with a Hindi actor which is why we approached Respondent No 2 (Khan). But Khan went ahead and made a movie from Monga’s creative writing,” Shekhar said.

Although Monga has not quantified the compensation he claims for alleged copyright infringement,he said it will be determined by the profits earned by the movie as his work has been commercially exploited by the respondents including RCE,Khan and MSM Satellite that had the television telecast rights of the movie.

The defendents in the case had,however,contended that there had been a gross delay in filing the suit when he had first served them a notice in April 2008.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement