Even as he refused to comment on reports that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation is set to axe two private firms involved in drafting the contentious Development Plan 2034, newly appointed municipal commissioner Ajoy Mehta Saturday said he was taking “several steps” to rectify the plan. By Tuesday, a clear roadmap of action by the BMC is expected to be ready. In his very first week as commissioner, Mehta has already had two meetings with the DP Department of the civic body.
Mehta said, “We are undertaking several steps to rectify the errors. We will take a final call on Tuesday.”
Apart from identifying errors in reservations, arbitrary new roads and errors in zoning in the blueprint, the commissioner has also asked officials to create a list of errors pointed out by residents and activists and digitise these before beginning the process of revision.
- Mumbai: BMC’s concrete roadsides plan draws criticism from own depts
- Planning to extend Metro line to Vasai and Virar: Fadnavis
- Affordable housing in DP an uphill task: BMC chief Ajoy Mehta
- Draft Development Plan: 35,000 letters processed so far
- No private firms to be involved in revising DP: BMC
- Sitaram Kunte out, Ajoy Mehta is new BMC chief
The suggestions and objections filed by residents were also discussed in a meeting, officials said.
While speculation is rife about the commissioner contemplating severe steps against two private agencies involved in drafting the DP, Mehta refused to elaborate on the matter. The contract for drafting the plan had been awarded to SCE Ltd after a tendering process two years ago, with the company then subcontracting the work to Aegis, which itself reportedly entered into a joint venture with another private firm named Memoris.
The consortium was responsible for digitally marking locations on the maps, which is where the large majority of errors have been pointed out by residential associations and experts. A BMC official said, “Several issues related to the plan were discussed in the meeting.
The commissioner is laying down modalities to undertake the process in four months. However, no specific decision has been passed yet in relation to the two private firms.”