Cabinet decision brings hope for Campa Colahttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/cabinet-decision-brings-hope-for-campa-cola/

Cabinet decision brings hope for Campa Cola

There is still ambiguity around as which of the illegal buildings will be regularised.

Campa Cola, Illegal flats, Power supply, indian express
A file picture of the Campa Cola compound. (Source: Express photo)

The cabinet’s decision to approve the proposal to regularise illegal buildings in the state last week, has renewed the hopes of the residents of the Campa Cola compound. While there is still ambiguity around which of the illegal buildings will be regularised, the Campa Cola residents are planning to make a fresh submission if they are eligible to be considered.

The residents are currently in talks with the urban development department and two hearings were conducted, one in March and the last hearing on January 5 with Minister of State Ranjit Patil. The Supreme Court had allowed the residents of the Campa Cola compound to submit a fresh representation to the state government in January last year to be considered for regularisation of around 100 illegal flats.

[related-post]

While constructing the buildings of the Campa Cola compound, which falls in the Coastal Regulation Zone, the builders consumed excessive FSI, violated air space regulations as well as illegally utilised mandatory open spaces around the buildings which also lack environmental clearances. The residents don’t have occupation certificates for the flats and had made a presentation to the state government last year to get their deemed conveyance registered which is still under process.

After the cabinet’s decision however, the residents are awaiting some clarity before they can ask to be considered for regularisation. “After so many years of running around, for the first time, there seems to a constructive positive development. Since the Campa Cola building is in a reserved zone, we are waiting for some clarity about the fine print of the policy. If it applies to us, we would definitely make a fresh application to be considered for regularisation,” said Ajay Mehta, one of the residents of Campa Cola.

Advertising

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had tweeted about the policy which would regularise all unauthorised construction upto December 31, 2015.

While the urban development department officials stated that implementation is still a long way off, the BMC is still unsure about the details of the policy and is thus unable to ascertain the types of illegal buildings this policy would cover.

“The cabinet has approved the recommendations made in the Kunte committee report. This report will now be submitted to the Bombay High Court. If the court approves the report, only then can we implement it,” said an official from the UD department requesting anonymity.

The official added that the policy will only apply to the unauthorised construction in residential zones as mentioned in the development plan. “This policy will not apply to buildings which are on areas owned by the central government authorities, like Defence and Port Trust lands, among others. The planning authorities and municipal corporations in Maharashtra will execute the regularisation process,” the official said.

The officials in the building proposal department of the BMC stated that the details about the decision are still ambiguous.

“We still haven’t received any official document about the details of the policy and we still don’t know what kind of illegal buildings fall under the ambit of the policy. Without that, we can’t even figure out how many such buildings would need to be regularised,” said a senior civic official.