By Rohit Alok and Megha Sood
They lured him promising drugs, then took turns to sodomise the 16-year-old victim whose body was found ashore in June off Marine Drive. Three burglars booked for sodomy and murder Thursday have reportedly revealed details of the June night when they assaulted and murdered a minor, claimed Mumbai Police. On Monday, the Mumbai Police picked three burglars on suspicion, only to find that they had committed two rapes and murders, including sodomising a victim inside the now infamous Shakti Mills and hacking his body to pieces.
In their statements, the three have reportedly admitted that in June this year they tossed the Marine Drive victim’s naked body into the Arabian Sea, off the tetra-pods at Marine Drive, said police. The boy was allegedly sodomised by six men, of whom three are still at large.
The crime came to light when the VP Road Police picked three men, identified as Rajkumar Rapannan (23), Sunil Kumar (30) and Vishal Padghan (30), on suspicion of planning a burglary near Girgaum. During questioning, the police found the three had committed at least two serious crimes since 2011.
The three have revealed that the boy was dragged to the tetra pods opposite Islam Gymkhana after they lured him to walk to the promenade, the police said. The police said there was plastic stuffed inside the victim’s mouth and that the medical report suggests that he probably died due to asphyxia.
“The crime took place on the tetrapods where the six took turns to sexually assault the teenager and stuffed plastic in his mouth to stop him from screaming,” said the officer. They even tore off his clothes and the accused said that they later beat him up with their hands that left the victim unconscious. They tossed him into the Arabian Sea after the incident, said a police officer. “The motive was to sodomise the teenager,” said the officer.
Although the postmortem report said the teenager experienced unnatural sex, the police had registered an ADR as there was no accused in the matter and the victim is yet to be unidentified,” the officer added.
Meanwhile, the police are also comparing the DNA samples of the arrested accused with three other crime cases, which continue to remain unsolved. On November 13, 2011 a three-year-old girl was found murdered in Cuffe Parade. In January 2012, another minor girl was found murdered.
In April 2012, following a massive search operation, the body of another three-year-old girl from was recovered by Cuffe Parade police. The Cuffe Parade and Colaba police have together recorded statements of over 15,000 persons.
“Investigations pointed out that in the Colaba and Cuffe Parade cases there were two or more than two people involved. Since the men have committed similar crimes around that period and areas we have taken their DNA samples,” said Dhananjay Kulkarni, Deputy Commisioner of Police (Crime) and spokesperson for Mumbai police.
Meanwhile, the police have also initiated investigations to confirm the possible involvement of one of the accused arrested in the Shakti Mills gangrape last year.