THE Bombay High Court Tuesday refused to grant interim bail to two men, Hasib Mulla and Ateef Mulla, both convicted and sentenced to 10 years rigorous imprisonment in the Mulund blast case of 2002.
A vacation bench of Justices A S Gadkari and M S Karnik pointed to a judgment of the High Court that stymies grant of bails to those accused under the stringent TADA and POTA acts, especially in the absence of regular court.
Earlier, senior lawyer Amit Desai, who appeared for the accused, said Ateef’s son suffers from thalassemia and the father’s absence was traumatic for the child. Desai reasoned that Ateef had been out on bail throughout the trial.
- Koregaon Bhima violence: Bombay High Court protects Navlakha, Teltumbde, Swamy from arrest till Nov 21
- 2008 Malegaon blasts: Not inclined to grant stay on framing of charges, says Bombay High Court
- Bombay High Court rejects Ateef Mulla’s plea for fresh passport
- Bombay HC refuses bail to Mulund blast convict
- 2002-03 Mumbai train blasts: Bombay HC Bench recuses itself from hearing bail plea of four convicts
- Mulund blast case: Bail plea of convicts to be heard on May 5
The bench adjourned the hearing of the case to June 7.
Both men were convicted under Section 4 (A) of POTA, 2002 and various Sections of the Arms Act. Hasib, who already spent around eight years in prison before being given bail, has to complete less than a two-year term in prison. Ateef, who was the first accused to get bail, has spent two years and nine months in prison, leaving him with a sentence of around seven years.
There were three explosions first on December 6, 2002 at McDonald’s Restaurant at Mumbai Central Railway station. The second blast took place on January 27, 2003 at Mungibai Market in Vile Parle (E) and the third blasts took place on March 13, 2003 in a Karjat-bound local train.