scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Saturday, October 23, 2021

Body of missing man found headless on terrace of Chembur flat

An officer with the RCF police said the possibility of a family dispute was being probed as the motive.

Mumbai |
February 26, 2014 1:15:37 am

The RCF police on Tuesday found the dismembered body of a man, who had been missing since Sunday, on the terrace of a MHADA building in Chembur.

The deceased has been identified as Basu Rathod (48), a resident of Bharat Nagar area in Chembur, where he used to stay with his wife and six children.

Senior Police Inspector Dilip Yadav said, “The body was found in a pool of blood with head and private parts separated from the body. His head was found lying near the body. An iron rod smeared with blood was also recovered from the crime scene.”

The officers added that the body was found around 9 am on Tuesday. Rathod’s daughter Jaya and some other relatives were looking for him since Sunday and reached the area, which is sparsely populated, as part of their search. They searched all the buildings in the area and found the body on the terrace of a five-storey building and informed the police.

“My father had left the house on Sunday evening to have tea, and never returned. We registered a missing persons complaint in his name,” said Jaya (25).

Yadav added that the probable murder weapon, a sickle, was recovered from the ground floor of the building. “There was also a stab wound and an incision wound on the body,” Yadav said.

An officer with the RCF police said the possibility of a family dispute was being probed as the motive. “Rathod had two wives. We are questioning them as well as their children to check if there were any disputes between them. Call data records of the deceased are also being scanned to check Rathod’s movements after he left his house on Sunday night,” said the officer.

The family claims that Rathod was an amicable person and didn’t have any issue with anyone.

Rathod’s neighbour Usha Kapadne said, “Rathod had a swollen ankle and could not have climbed the fleet of stairs by himself. He must have been carried to the terrace.”

2 video parlour owners held for ‘showing’ porn

MUMBAI: The Social Service Branch (SSB) of the Mumbai Police raided two video parlours in Saki Naka on Monday night.

Owners of the two parlours and two cashiers were arrested along with 44 other men.

The police said the raid was conducted around 9 pm based on a tip-off. Police officials sent in a decoy as a customer to confirm the tip-off, after which they raided the parlours.

Assistant Commissioner of Police (SSB) Firoze Patel said, “Sai Video Parlour and Eagle Video Parlour, on the pretext of operating video parlours, were showing porn films. We have recovered about Rs 7,600 from one video parlor and about Rs 13,000 from the other.”

The two owners have been booked under section s 292, 114 and 34 of the Indian Penal Code for possession of obscene material, being present at the crime scene and involvement of several persons in futherance of common intention, respectively. The offenders were produced in the metropolitan magistrate court in Andheri on Tuesday, and were released on bail.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement