After thumping victories in Lok Sabha and Assembly elections, the BJP lost the Bhandara and Gondia zilla parishad elections held on June 30.
NCP in Gondia and Congress in Bhandara unseated the BJP in a comprehensive manner, raising a question mark over the party’s popularity witnessed in the election of six out of seven assembly seats and the Lok Sabha seat in the combined Gondia-Bhandara constituency.
The NCP won 20 seats and the Congress 16 in the 53 seat Gondia house while the BJP trailed with just 17 seats. The Shiv Sena drew a blank. In 2009, the parties had 13, 8, 27 and 1 seats respectively in a 52 member house.NCP won in Gondia and Congress in Bhandara in the zilla parishad elections.
- NCP rides to victory on Patole in Bhandara-Gondia
- CM Fadnavis declares truce, offers alliance talks with Shiv Sena ahead of 2019 elections
- EVM malfunctioning mars bypolls in UP, Maharashtra; Opposition lodges protest
- Lok Sabha Bye-Elections 2018 highlights: Why were EVMs procured from Surat, asks Praful Patel
- Lok Sabha bypolls: Polling in Palghar, Gondia-Bhandara today
- Bhandara-Gondia Lok Sabha seat: From despair to hope, changing moods at Congress, NCP camps
The NCP won 20 seats and the Congress 16 in the 53 seat Gondia zilla parishad while the BJP trailed with just 17 seats. The Shiv Sena drew a blank.
In Bhandara, in the 52-member house, Congress won 19 seats, NCP 15, BJP 13 and Shiv Sena won 1 seat.