- Xiaomi Poco F1 launch Live Updates: Poco F1 price in India starts at Rs 20,999, sale date, launch offers, etc
- Kerala floods LIVE updates: Chief Ministers Distress Relief Fund has received Rs 210 cr so far, says Thomas Isaac
- Asian Games 2018 Live Streaming Day 4 Live Score and Updates: Ankita Raina confirms medal; Indian hockey team dominating Hong Kong
Manish Jain of Bhiwandi had just started to celebrate the birth of his daughter on Thursday but hours later on Thursday night, the baby was charred to death in Thane after a gas cylinder exploded in the ambulance transporting the infant to a speciality hospital in Mumbai.
The incident occurred in Vartak Nagar area of Thane.
The newborn was under ventilator support due to breathing trouble.
The infant was brought to Vedant hospital in Thane from Bhiwandi the same day following medical complications. While the child’s mother was still in Bhiwandi hospital, the father and uncle accompanied the baby to Vedant hospital.
Thane Municipal Corporation’s (TMC) Regional Disaster Management Cell (RMDC) Chief Santosh Kadam said, “The doctors advised the baby’s parents to shift her to a speciality care centre in Mumbai and called an ambulance to shift her on Thursday night. As the ambulance was about to leave for Mumbai with the child in it, the doctor and the nurse, present in the vehicle witnessed a spark near the oxygen cylinder following which they jumped out of the vehicle leaving the infant in the ambulance. Soon the CNG cylinder installed in the rear of the ambulance exploded causing fire.” he said.
The family members including father and uncle were about to board the vehicle when the mishap occurred.
The doctor, Bhavandeep Garg (30) who sustained 21 per cent burns and nurse Leeja Chacko (28) seven per cent burns were rushed to Thane civil hospital.
“A fire brigade team was rushed to the spot to control the fire. The infant could not be saved. Another ambulance parked alongside was engulfed in fire,” said Kadam.