Will undertake demolition in three phases.
As Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) gears up to demolish illegal floors of seven highrises in Worlis Campa Cola compound,civic officials say they have well laid-out plan for the purpose.
Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte said,The first step will be to make the unauthorised flats completely unhabitable for residents. This will be done by breaking down internal walls of the structure,kitchen,etc.
The civic administration has appointed consultants for the process,wherein they will ensure the safety of the rest of the buildings and residents. A senior civic official said they will not allow residents entry on floors beyond the fifth.
Additional municipal commissioner Mohan Adtani said the crew will use vibrators and diamond-cutter technology for removing slabs.
Around 70 to 80 civic officials accompanying 200 civic labourers and supported by 120 police personnel will comprise the demolition team. The charges for demolition will be borne by developers and occupants jointly, Adtani added.
Estimated to cost roughly Rs 2.5 crore,the demolition will be undertaken in three phases. The first phase will involve taking down internal walls,the second stage will break down the slabs,and in the final stage,pillars and beams will be razed. The process will include shifting water tanks at the top of the building to lower floors,said a senior civic official.
The demolition process for the 140-odd unauthorised flats is likely to continue for the next six to seven months. BMC will initially take action on the 83 notices served to residents. It is planning to serve notices on other illegal flats later,said Adtani.
BMC had earlier postponed demolition to May 2 on account of May 1 being a Labour Day. It had also cited lack of police protection as the reason.
BMCs stringent action comes after a Supreme Court ordered demolition of all illegal floors in the buildings Midtown,Esha Ekta Apartments,Shubh Apartments,Patel Apartments (two buildings),B Y Apartments and Orchid.