scorecardresearch
Monday, Nov 28, 2022

Another accused in Malegaon blast case granted bail by special court

The NIA charge sheet, which described Kulkarni as a social worker, said he was part of various meetings along with the other accused, including one held in Faridabad where the formation of a ‘Hindu government’ at the Centre was allegedly discussed.

malegaon blast, malegaon blast accused custodial death, custodial death, india news, indian express (File Photo)

One more accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, Sameer Kulkarni, was granted bail by a special court on Wednesday on a surety of Rs 50,000. With this, seven of the eight accused in the case have been granted bail since the National Investigation Agency (NIA) filed its charge sheet in the case in 2016.

Kulkarni, who argued his bail plea himself, sought bail on the grounds of parity since all the other accused, except Rakesh Dhawde, have already been granted bail.  He claimed that there was no evidence against him and that he had been falsely implicated. He further submitted that he has been behind bars for nearly nine years without the trial commencing.

The NIA had opposed the bail plea. The NIA charge sheet, which described Kulkarni as a social worker, said he was part of various meetings along with the other accused, including one held in Faridabad where the formation of a ‘Hindu government’ at the Centre was allegedly discussed.

The NIA had claimed that Kulkarni had discussed “about taking revenge for the atrocities committed by the Muslims on Hindus”. The NIA had also claimed that after the arrest of Pragya Singh Thakur on October 24, 2008, accused Prasad Purohit had sent a text to Kulkarni saying that the ATS had entered his house in Pune.

Subscriber Only Stories
UPSC Key- November 28, 2022: Why you should read ‘China’s Zero-Covid poli...Premium
Delhi reports another gruesome case of body-chopping and murderous aggres...Premium
UPSC Essentials | Key terms of the past week with MCQsPremium
ExplainSpeaking | A profile of Gujarat’s economy before electionsPremium

Purohit then allegedly directed him to delete his numbers from his phone. According to the NIA, this proved Kulkarni’s complicity in the case.

First published on: 12-10-2017 at 05:51:42 am
Next Story

NGT jurisdiction for Goa to stay with Pune: Bar hails High Court verdict

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close