Follow Us:
Saturday, July 21, 2018

7 labourers hurt in fire at jewellery shop

Seven labourers were injured after a fire broke out in a jewellery shop in Kalbadevi on Saturday.

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Published: January 1, 2012 2:31:47 am

Seven labourers were injured after a fire broke out in a jewellery shop in Kalbadevi on Saturday. The labourers,all Bengali craftsmen,were working atop a small loft in the Tanvi Ornaments shop on the third floor of building no.333 in Badamwadi area when the fire broke out.

The labourers suffered 30-50 per cent burns and were first admitted to Saifee Hospital on Charni Road and later shifted to Masina Burns Hospital,Byculla.

An officer from Memonwada fire station said the workers were pouring compressed gas from a canister for melting jewellery during the process of making imitation ornaments. “The moment they created a spark to ignite the lighter,a blast occurred and the loft caught fire. There is hardly any breathing space as the four ft high loft is poorly ventilated,” he said.

The five-storeyed building houses small manufacturing units of imitation jewellery shops.

The fire officer said most of the hundreds of shops and manufacturing units in the locality work on making jewellery without any permission from the Fire Brigade.

“The process of pouring compressed gas is risky. None of these shops has no-objection certificate from the fire brigade. The melting work is done illegally,” the official said.

Locals said the injured were taken to Saifee Hospital in private cars before the fire brigade team arrived.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App