The Anti-Extortion Cell of the Mumbai police arrested a 25-year-old woman on charges of extorting money from a businessman. The woman, a member of a dance and acting academy, was collecting extortion money from the businessman near CST railway station when she was arrested by the police Monday.
An officer from the Anti-Extortion Cell (AEC), said that the complainant, a businessman linked to the packaging industry, had gone to Nagpur in July, to meet a prospective investor for a new project that the businessman was starting. The ‘investor’, identified as one Mohsin, who claimed to be a member of a Naxal organisation, took the complainant to a jungle in Gadchiroli where he demanded Rs 10 lakh from him. The complainant then paid Rs 1.10 lakh he was carrying and promised to pay the remaining amount later.
- Thane: 35-year-old booked for cheating businessman; police on lookout
- Thane: Constable arrested for extortion, kidnapping businessman’s son
- Charge sheet filed against Dawood, Iqbal Kaskar, Anees Ibrahim in extortion case
- IPL betting: Cops summon brother of ex-cop, producer
- Two Bhiwandi scribes held by Thane police for extortion
- Man held for trying to extort Rs 75 L from bizman
Returning to the city, the complainant approached Nagpada police. The AEC asked the complainant to agree to make the payment. Accordingly, the complainant asked Mohsin to send someone to the city to collect the payment. The AEC officers, disguised as passengers and office goers, apprehended the 25-year-old woman who had been sent to collect the payment.
The AEC are looking for Mohsin who is absconding.