It is not just corporators in Mumbai who are contesting the Assembly elections in droves,hoping to elevate their political careers and move from civic to state affairs. While 17 Mumbai corporators have entered the fray for the October 13 poll,18 of their counterparts from the satellite towns have also thrown their hat into the ring and are campaigning vigorously.
From the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC),six corporators are in fray. All the four Assembly segments here has a corporator in the fray,with the prominent being former Mayor and Shiv Sena candidate Rajan Vichare. But the contest to watch here is between Senas Pratap Sarnaik and Maharashtra Navnirman Senas (MNS) Sudhakar Chavan an independent corporator and chairman of Thane Municipal Transport (TMT). Similarly,Rajan Kene,former chairman of TMCs standing committee,is contesting on a Sena ticket from the Mumbra-Kalwa seat against the NCPs Jitendra Awhaad.
In Navi Mumbais Airoli seat,a tough contest is expected between Sandeep Naik and Vijay Chougule. Naik is NMMCs standing committee chairman and son of Navi Mumbai strongman Ganesh Naik while Chougule is a corporator from Airoli and Naiks bete noire. Chougule had unsuccessfully contested the Lok Sabha elections against Naiks bother Sanjeev.
The Mayors of Bhiwandi Nizampura and Mira-Bhayander are also in the fray. Bhiwandi-Nizampura Mayor Javed Dalvi is contesting from Bhiwandi West on a Congress ticket while Narendra Mehta,Mayor of Mira-Bhayander,is pitted against former Mayor and NCP candidate Gilbert Mendocca. Narayan Mankar,president of Navghar-Manickpur Municipal Council,is in the fray from Nalasopara as a Bahujan Vikas Aghadi (BVA) candidate.
The rebel corporators across all political parties who were denied ticket by their parties,are in the fray and are making life miserable for the parties official candidates. For instance,the NCPs Devram Bhoir,the opposition leader in TMC,is contesting as an Independent against Congress candidate Subhash Kanade. BJP corporator Mangesh Gaikar is contesting as an Independent from Kalyan West after the seat went to the Sena. Congress corporator Namdeo Bhagat has entered the fray from Belapur against Ganesh Naik,after both the seats in Navi Mumbai went to the NCP.
* Ravi Phatak (Congress): Kankavali (Konkan)
* Rajan Vichare (Shiv Sena): Thane City
* Sudhakar Chavan (Independent corporator contesting on MNS ticket): Ovala-Majiwada
* Manoj Shinde (Congress): Kopri-Pachpakhadi
* Rajan Kene (Independent corporator contesting on Shiv Sena ticket): Kalwa-Mumbra
* Devram Bhoir (NCP corporator contesting as an Independent): Thane City
* Namdev Bhagat (Congress corporator contesting as Independent): Belapur
* Ramesh Shinde (Shiv Sena corporator contesting as Independent): Belapur
* Vijay Chougule (Shiv Sena): Airoli
* Sandeep Naik (NCP): Airoli
* Ravi Chavan (BJP): Dombivili
* Mangesh Gaikar (BJP corporator contesting as an Independent): Kalyan West
* Rajan Deolekar (Shiv sena): Kalyan West
* Ramesh Walanj (Independent corporator on Shiv Sena ticket): Kalyan West
* Narendra Mehta (BJP): Mira Road
* Vaity (MNS)
Navghar-Manickpur Municipal Council
* Narayan Mankar (Bahujan Vikas Agahdi): Vasai
* Javed Dalvi (Congress): Bhiwandi West
* Sainath Pawar (Shiv Sena corporator contesting as an Independent)