TEN people were injured, three of them seriously, in an explosion caused by gas leaking from a domestic gas cylinder in a residential area in Vikhroli Friday.
The injured included three teenagers of whom one sustained 80 per cent burns, officials said.
According to Parksite police, the incident occurred around noon at the residence of Vimal Chavan (50). The police said the family stays in a ground-plus-one structure in Varsha Nagar area in Parksite, Vikhroli (east).
“The LPG cylinder in Vimal’s house had run out of gas, and she borrowed a spare cylinder from her neighbour. While she was connecting the cylinder to the stove, she smelled gas and went to tell her neighbour there was a possible leak. As soon as she returned to her house after the conversation, there was an explosion. We believe it could have been caused after the leaking gas came in contact with a spark or a flame,” said Senior Police Inspector Rajendra Kulkarni, Parksite police station.
The explosion caused a fire that spread to two adjacent houses. Residents of the area called the Fire Brigade and the Police Control Room.
A civic official said three fire tenders and two ambulances were rushed to the spot. “The explosion caused part of the house to cave in,” the official added.
Fire brigade and police rescued ten people and rushed them to Rajawadi Hospital in Ghatkopar.
Officials said Vimal, who seems to have been the closest to the source of explosion, sustained 80 to 90 per cent burns, while her daughter Sapna (13) and neighbour Devgan Singh (40) sustained 80 per cent burns.
Santosh Shinde (31) sustained 60 per cent burns, while Vimal’s sons Aniket and Saurabh Chavan sustained 30 and 20 per cent burns respectively.
The other injured, Rahul Danavle (22), Suman Danavle (45), Vijay Sawant (51) and Mirabai Mane (65) sustained minor injuries, said officials.
“We have registered a report and are conducting further inquiries,” Kulkarni said.