An undertrial in rape and murder case on Wednesday assaulted a cop at the court complex where he was brought for a hearing.
The division number 5 police station registered a case under sections 353, 186 and 506 of the IPC against the accused.
- Unnao custodial death case: CBI files chargesheet
- Ludhiana: Five men assault undertrial inside jail, post it on Facebook
- Three arrested for rape and murder of minors in Punjab
- Ludhiana: Booked for ‘trespassing’ in Verka milk plant, MLA Simarjit Singh Bains says FIR ‘false, baseless’
- Uttar Pradesh: 3 brothers booked for locking cop, homeguard in room
- Ludhiana: Four self-styled godman held for abducting 10-year-old boy, forcing him into begging
The accused was identified as Balwinder Singh of Mehlon village of Sahnewal. The accused has been lodged in Ludhiana central jail as an undertrial in a rape and murder case registered against him at Sahnewal police station in 2013.
The case was registered following the statement of constable Surinder Kumar. He said when he was coming out from the court, the father and brother of Balwinder handed a packet to the latter. When he asked the accused for checking, the accused refused and opened attack on him. Later, when he checked the packet, he found three bundles of beedi, tobacco and lighter.