Two major fire incidents were reported in two hosiery units in the city on Sunday,causing damage worth lakhs of rupees.
In the first incident,a fire broke out in Skyland hosiery factory in congested Shivpuri area late in the evening. The flames had not been doused till the time of filing this report. The factory,located in a 10-foot congested lane,is constructed in a 150 square yard area. Due to the congested lanes,fire tenders could not go to the spot and a pipeline had to be spread which took some time,said the fire staff.
Additional Fire Officer G S Sandhu said,Such problems are common in congested areas,but the fire was controlled well in time by our staff.
Significantly,there was no provision for firefighting arrangements inside the factory.
In another incident at Hussainpura village,a fire broke out in Balaram Tex Limited,a textile unit. Short circuit was said to be the cause of this fire which occurred about 10 am. There was no staff in the office because it was Sunday. The office block was burnt while the factory portion was saved,said the fire staff.