Six gram panchayats, two panchayat samitis, one gram sabha and one zila parishad from Punjab will be honoured on Sunday, which is also the National Panchayat Raj Diwas. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will distribute awards to these offices in Chhattisgarh.
Incidentally, most of the offices fall under the patronage of one SAD leader or the other.
- Captain trying to take control of gurdwaras, says Parkash Singh Badal
- Cong MLA submits list of Moga officials to Captain, wants them shifted out
- Punjab: Firm up farmer’s relief package, says Shiromani Akali Dal
- Punjab local body election: After defeat in rural bastions, SAD alleges rigging, plans to hold protests
- Punjab local body election: Congress leading in majority of seats in Zila Parishad, Panchayat Samiti polls
- Chandigarh: Contest between Congress and SAD, only one AAP candidate in fray
Ministers Sikander Singh Maluka, Janmeja Singh Sekhon, Bibi Jagir Kaur and Parminder Singh Dhindsa, and MLA Nand Lal Chaudhary have many of these offices in their constituency. Maluka’s son Gurpreet Singh Maluka is also the chairman of the Bathinda zila parishad, which has also won an award. One village falls under a Congress MLA while there is none from a BJP constituency.
“Zila Parishad will get prize money worth Rs 50 lakh from PM Modi while Panchayat Samiti will get Rs 20 lakh grant from the Prime Minister. While only one Zila Parishad has been chosen from the whole of state, two Panchayat Samitis have been chosen,” said Jatinder Singh Brar Nodal officer of Panchayat department.