Follow Us:
Thursday, July 19, 2018

Major fire at Meena Bazaar

A major fire occurred in Meena Bazaar in which a godown of the Chawla brothers was burnt to ashes.

Written by Express News Service | Ludhiana | Published: January 30, 2011 2:18:38 am

Godown with marriage card raw material and boxes completely destroyed; 6 fire tenders extinguish blaze in 2 hours

A major fire occurred in Meena Bazaar today in which a godown of the Chawla brothers was burnt to ashes. The godown had raw material of marriage cards,boxes and allied material. The loss is pegged at crores of rupees because the expensive items of marriage cards and boxes were stored inside the godown and were burnt completely.

The fire took place at around 9.30 a,m and was extinguished in about 2 hours using six fire tenders. Additional District Fire Officer(ADFO) Amarjeet Sharma said,“We were lucky that the market had not opened at that time and our vehicles entered inside the bazaar quickly. The market normally opens after 11 am. The godown was on the second floor. The fire was well controlled within the godown but the loss was huge.”

Although expensive material was stored inside the store,but the wholesaler did not bother to make any arrangements for fire fighting equipment. A short circuit is reported to be the main cause of the fire.

Loose hanging wires in the entire market pose a danger. In the past too,fires had engulfed many shops in Dal Bazar due to short circuit. Last year,a building in Dal bazaar was gutted in a fire due to a short circuit.

For all the latest Ludhiana News, download Indian Express App