September 25, 2009 4:11:23 am
Among different family planning methods,non-scalpel vasectomy has been perhaps the least popular. But the current trend in the district shows a marked increase in the number of men showing up for NSV,a positive shift from the general lack of interest among men for this birth-control measure.
As compared to last years figures from April to August when the number of men who underwent NSV was just 192,in the corresponding time frame this year,the number has gone up to 803,district family welfare office records say.
The number of tubectomy cases in the record books of the health department between April and August has also come down from 5,920 last year to 4,311 this year,indicating more men opted taking responsibility for birth control rather than leaving it to their spouses.
Dr Rina Sandhu,district family welfare officer,said it was encouraging to find awareness among the rural men now as more men turned up voluntarily for NSVs in the family planning camps organised by the department this year.
Generally,as per the trends witnessed over the past few years,more women have been known to take responsibility for family planning measures than their partners.
Tubectomy for women and non-scalpel vasectomy for men are the more conventional and permanent methods of birth control in India.
In the six camps held by the district family welfare office this year,more men have shown inclination for NSV as compared to last year when only a handful of them were present at the camps,added Dr Sandhu.
The health department has got overwhelming response from men in the camps held at Sahnewal and Macchiwara where more than 200 men turned up to undergo the procedure. At Machhiwara camp,which was held in September,as many 238 men underwent NSV,taking the figure of 803 to 1041.
Vasectomy row: CS orders probe
With an unmarried youth allegedly having been fraudulently made to undergo vasectomy in Macchiwara and his parents subsequently lodging a police complaint,the Civil Surgeon Dr Maninderjit Singh has marked an enquiry into the case.
The Civil Surgeon said today he has directed the senior medical officer there to report back to him immediately. I am aware of the complaint and have asked the SMO to look into the matter and send me a detailed report on the matter, said the Civil Surgeon.
The boy however has signed the documents himself and there is no reason as yet to believe if he was mentally unstable as reported in some sections of media, he said. He said that the enquiry would throw light on the incident and would bring out the details of the case.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.