A day after the body of 60-year-old Sukhmail Singh, an ex-servicemen, was found hanging at his residence on Bhamiya road, the Jamalpur police arrested a woman for abetment to suicide.
The accused was identified as Harpal Kaur, 40, of Guru Nanak Colony near Sidhwan Canal, and the case has been registered following the statement of the deceased’s son.
- Her youngest son had died in 2015: Woman threatens suicide a day after her son killed self
- Punjab: Youth, woman murdered in Tarn Taran, police say four held for ‘honour killing’
- Delhi Police charge Shashi Tharoor with cruelty, abetting wife’s ‘suicide’
- Sunanda Pushkar was subjected to physical cruelty, Shashi Tharoor abetted her suicide, says police chargesheet
- Sunanda Pushkar death case: Delhi Police names Shashi Tharoor as accused, charges him with ‘abetment to suicide’
- Shashi Tharoor charged with abetment to suicide in Sunanda Pushkar case
In his complaint, Jagdev Singh said his father had taken a loan of Rs 1 lakh from someone and given it to Harpal Kaur when she was in a financial crisis. The woman had promised him that she would return the money along with interest. However, according to Jagdev, the woman did not return the money and would threaten Sukhmail when he would ask for it. Sukhmail was also allegedly in depression as he had been paying the interest to the money lender.
ASI Manjit Singh said police have recovered a suicide note from the pocket of the deceased, in which he has blamed the woman for harassment.