The local unit of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) started a campaign against pollution of water bodies at the Gill Bridge on Sunday.
The party volunteers assisted in the cleaning of Sidhwan Canal and appealed to the people to help reduce water pollution.
- Punjab: Video of two men disposing sacks of ‘waste’ near Doraha canal goes viral, creates uproar
- World Environment Day: 3 women to row 3,000 miles across Atlantic to take action against plastic pollution
- Protest Against Water Pollution: For Captain, AAP ferries ‘dirty’ water sample from Ludhiana to Chandigarh
- NGT takes cognisance of Punjab AAP MLAs’ complaint on river water pollution
- AAP MLAs from Punjab to meet NGT chief today
- Beas crisis in Punjab: Congress’ ‘green manifesto’ plan in cold storage
According to Colonel (retd) C M Lakhanpal, the coordinator for this project, “We are planning to take this campaign to Buddha Nullah as well as Satluj river so that the water bodies in this region can be saved from the monstrous pollution they are suffering, which is also the main cause for the rise of cancer in this region. The entire water system is so polluted that almost all aquatic life has vanished. The Buddha Dariya is now the ‘Sorrow of Ludhiana’. It is high time that the government and administration take immediate and concrete steps to address this issue.”
AAP also held membership camps at different places in the city on Sunday. Early morning, a membership drive was held at Rakh Bagh and then at Samrala Chowk, Shimlapuri and Gill Road.