A 58-year-old patient from Kapurthala on Tuesday died of swine flu at DMCH. With this the death toll in Ludhiana hospitals reached two. As many as 14 patients have been confirmed of swine flu of which five are from Ludhiana. Of the 59 beds in the various hospitals of Ludhiana meant for suspected swine flu patients, 46 have already been occupied and the DC Rajat Aggarwal has asked hospitals to arrange for extra beds.
Of the 46 patients, 14 had tested positive and the rest are in the suspected list. On Monday, two new patients, a 55-year-old female patient from Hardev Nagar, Ludhiana and a 38-year-old female patient from Jalandhar were tested positive for swine flu. They are undergoing treatment in CMCH.
Though the district health authorities have asked the hospitals to arrange for extra beds, but at the same time, hospital authorities have also sent clear instructions to different districts that only serious patients should be referred to Ludhiana. Dr Anil Verma, district epidemiologist said, “Of the 14 confirmed patients, five are from Ludhiana and the rest are from other parts of Punjab. Even in suspected patients majority are from outside. We have asked the respective hospitals that they should try to manage patients in their districts and only serious cases which cannot be handled should be referred to Ludhiana. As of now, each and every patient is being sent to Ludhiana, which is creating a panic.”
Meanwhile, in CMCH, eight wards are booked with swine flu patients while in Fortis Hospital, medical superintendent Dr Ankush Mehta said, “We have two beds for swine flu patients of which one is positive and the other tested negative. Though suspected patients are coming to us, but so far only one patient tested positive.” Doctors, meanwhile, have alerted the public to follow all the precautions so as to avoid swine flu. Dr Verma added that their team was doing regular awareness campaigns.