Week after being ‘raped’, Jhansi village pradhan immolates self

Police lodged an FIR against one Guddu Singh based on a complaint filed by victim’s husband Friday.

Written by Manish Sahu | Lucknow | Published: December 13, 2014 12:35:31 am

A week after she was allegedly raped by her neighbour, a 32-year-old village head (pradhan) in Jhansi district committed suicide by setting herself on fire in Lahchura police station area late Thursday evening.

The victim had not lodged any complaint with the police about the alleged rape. Also no suicide note was found from the house. She had sustained over 95 per cent burn injuries and had died on the spot.

Police lodged an FIR against one Guddu Singh based on a complaint filed by victim’s husband Friday. The accused is yet to be arrested.

Guddu Singh,who already has criminal cases registered against him including attempt to murder and Goonda Act, has been booked on charges of rape, abetment to suicide and criminal intimidation.

Officiating station officer (SO) of Lahchura police station, sub-inspector Vikramaditya Singh Sachan said the complainant told the police that his wife had informed him about the rape, which took place a week ago ago, on December 9 but had asked him not to report the matter to the police fearing social stigma. She had also refused to take up the matter in the village panchayat.

As per the complaint, Guddu Singh had barged into their house and raped his wife, who had been elected pradhan for the first time, while she was alone in the house. Their two daughters – aged 13 and 9 —- had gone to school —- a son, 11, is studying in Mahoba and stays in a hostel —- and he had gone for some work outside then. Guddu Singh had also threatened his wife with dire consequences, the husband alleged.

Talking to The Indian Express, victim’s younger brother said, “My sister was upset since after the incident. She had talked to our mother on December 10 and had asked me to visit her. I reached her house in the afternoon only to find that she had set herself ablaze in the kitchen while her children were in other room.”

Some neighbours broke into the house and tried to rescue her but she had sustained over 95 per cent burns and died before she could be taken to hospital, he said.

Circle Officer, Jhansi, Sanjay Kumar Sharma said, the body was sent for post mortem and they are awaiting its report

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest Lucknow News, download Indian Express App