The Uttar Pradesh government has ordered withdrawal of the criminal case against an absconding alleged HuJI operative Shamim Ahmed,accused of planting a bomb in a public place in Varanasi in 2006. The bomb,which did not explode,was found soon after the twin blasts at Sankatmochan Mandir and Varanasi Cantt Railway Station in which 21 persons died on March 7,2006.
The third bomb had been planted near Jamuna Fatak area in Godaulia locality under Dasaswamedh police circle. All the bombs were made by packing explosives in pressure cookers.
The Varanasi police claimed the HuJI had planned the blasts. The UP STF arrested Waliullah,the imam of a mosque in Allahabads Phoopur area,on April 5,2006,and said he was the mastermind. The police claimed the blasts were executed by three men from Bangladesh with whom Waliullah had studied at Deoband. While Waliullah is currently lodged at the Dasna jail in Ghaziabad,the trio were never caught.
In December 2006,the police named Shamim in the chargesheet in the Godaulia case. Shamim too was never caught.
But in 2008,after the arrest of some alleged Indian Mujahideen members,the UP police said the Varanasi blasts were jointly conducted by HuJI and IM. Mohammad Saif,who was arrested after the Batla House encounter in Delhi on September 19,2008,reportedly admitted that he had planted the bomb at Godaulia. The police have not filed a chargesheet against him yet.
Now,instructions have been sent to the Varanasi district magistrate to file an application in court for withdrawal of the case against Shamim,who has been charged under various sections of the Explosives Act.
Shamim hails from Chandaulis Launda village. Khursheed Alam,village pradhan,said Shamims parents died around two years ago. Shamims younger brother,Mehnaaj Ahmed,lives in the village and his financial condition is not good. Shamim left his house around 15 years back. We did not see him after that, said the pradhan,adding that Shamims four other brothers had also left the village.
Third plea for case drop
This is the third terror case that the UP government has decided to withdraw. On May 22,the government had moved an application in a local court of Gorakhpur,seeking to withdraw a case against alleged HuJI operative Tariq Qasmi in connection with the 2007 serial blasts in Gorakhpur in which six persons were injured. The court is set to take up the application on June 10. Tariq is lodged in Lucknow Jail.
On May 3,the government moved an application in a Barabanki court for withdrawal of a case against alleged HuJI operatives Tariq Qasmi and Khalid Mujahid. Both were arrested for their alleged involvement in the serial blasts at Lucknow and Faizabad courts on November 23,2007. The Barabanki court rejected the governments plea on May 10. On May 18,Khalid died while he was being brought to Lucknow jail after appearing in a court in Faizabad. ens