The Prosecution Directorate of Uttar Pradesh on Sunday felicitated as many as 26 witnesses whose testimonies helped in conviction of the accused persons with more than 10 year’s imprisonment in cases of murder, rape and other heinous offences.
Speaking at the function organised at Lucknow Press Club, Director General of Prosecution, Surya Kumar said the felicitation of these witnesses from Lucknow district was a way of acknowledging their contribution in the deliverance of justice for the victims.
- Kathua case: J-K SSP assures Pathankot court that witnesses will appear before it
- Kathua gangrape-murder case: Witnesses not produced, Pathankot court summons Crime Branch SSP
- Delhi court pulls up police over absent witness
- Kathua trial begins, prosecution seeks transfer of accused
- Chargesheet in RSS leader murder case: Targeted killings have footprints in Pakistan, other countries, says NIA
- Prosecution dept’s ‘success rate’ : 8,773 convictions in four months — death to eight, life term for 977
“Prosecution officers often complain that witnesses turn hostile in their cases, leading to the acquittal of the accused persons. But there are also witnesses who speak the truth despite facing threats and pressure and they should be felicitated so that people are encouraged to tell the truth about the crimes,” he said.
Kumar said he has asked all the prosecution officers to recognise the witnesses in the cases of heinous crimes in which accused persons were given the punishment of over 10 year’s imprisonment, so they could be felicitated.
He said the prosecution officers, government lawyers, court moharrir and pairokar in similar cases will also be felicitated.