Two persons were killed and another four injured after a group of visitors coming out of Naini Central Jail were fired at by unidentified persons in Allahabad on Sunday afternoon.
According to the police, over a dozen men led by Gyanendra Yadav had gone to meet his father, Chandrabhan Yadav, who is lodged in jail for two murders that took place in 2005 and 2008. Gyanendra, who was also accused in the cases, had been discharged.
- Uttar Pradesh: Two shot in Barabanki ‘encounter’
- Uttar Pradesh: One killed in Azamgarh encounter
- Chhattisgarh: 3 naxals gunned down by security forces in Sukma district
- Same gun used to kill Gauri Lankesh and MM Kalburgi: Forensic report
- Two gangsters killed in Meerut firefight: UP STF
- Murders in shootout outside Naini jail: Villagers clash with police, ASP among 4 cops injured
“When Gyanendra and others, including his family members, came out of the jail at around 4 PM and walked up to their SUV, they were attacked by assailants on two motorcycles,” said Allahabad SSP Jogendra Kumar. Gyanendra and his associate Lalta Prasad succumbed to gunshot injuries, Kumar added.
A 315-bore rifle and a nine mm pistol were recovered from the spot and they have been sent to forensic experts, police said.
According to the SSP, the incident was fallout from the enmity between Chandrabhan and another family in their village in Jhunsi. Shailendra Yadav, who has been named as one of the attackers, had two brothers who were allegedly killed by Chandrabhan.
A search is on for the accused, police said.