The body of a 17-year-old girl was found hanging from a tree, with her hands and legs tied, in her village under Jethwara police station area of Pratapgarh district Sunday morning. The police have registered a case of murder. The post-mortem report has ruled out suspicion of rape, the police said.
According to the police, the girl used to live in a shanty along with her 15-year-old brother since after their parents died about 10 years ago. Their relatives live adjacent to their house.
- Bareilly: Day after he was charged with attempt to rape, youth’s body found hanging from tree
- Lucknow: Four minor boys ‘rape’ six-year-old, one held
- Rajkot doctor found hanging in his home, police suspect suicide
- Haryana: Hours after gangrape, Class XII student hangs herself
- Chhattisgarh: 17-year-old found dead, cops probe rape and murder
- UP: Village head’s brother-in-law killed, mob torches main accused’s house
On Saturday, the boy had gone to a neighbouring village on an invitation, while the girl was alone in her shanty. Late on Saturday evening, she left her shanty but did not return home. When her brother returned, he searched for her but to no avail.
On Sunday, villagers spotted Sangeeta’s body hanging from a tree at a distance of around 200 metres from her accommodation. The police were subsequently informed. Her hands and legs were tied and the body was hanging from a dupatta. There were injury marks on her face and some other parts of the body.
“The post-mortem has revealed that the cause of death was hanging. Rape has been ruled out completely. However, the manner in which the body was found and presence of injuries on her body indicates that she was murdered. We are working on a few clues. Her call detail records are being scanned and some persons have been identified,” said Additional Superintendent of Police (West), Pratapgarh, Dinesh Singh. He added that, as of now, it appeared that the number of assailants was more than one.
Police said family enmity has been ruled out as the motive behind the murder.