SAMAJWADI PARTY MLC Ramesh Yadav is set to be elected unopposed as the chairman of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council on Thursday.
Principal Secretary (Vidhan Parishad) Manoj Yadav said only two sets of nomination papers — both filed by Ramesh Yadav — were received. Leader of the House in Vidhan Parishad, Ahmed Hasan, accompanied Yadav while he filed his nomination papers.
The official announcement will be made by protem chairman of the council, Om Prakash Sharma, on Friday.
- Shivpal Yadav launches new party, says forced to leave SP due to ‘sycophants’
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath, deputy CMs take oath as MLCs
- Rajya Sabha Polls: Amar Singh, Beni file nomination
- Zila panchayat chairperson polls: Mulayam’s nephew, niece among 33 SP leaders set to be elected unopposed
- Dimple elected unopposed to LS
- Dimple elected unopposed from Kannauj
The SP, which now has majority in the Upper House with 57 members, is set to get its candidate elected as chairman after nearly six years. Earlier, SP’s Sukhram Singh Yadav has retired as chairman in 2010.
Yadav, who belongs to Etah district, is a Mulayam loyalist and a four-term MLC. He had also represented Nidhauli Kalan assembly constituency in Etah once. His son Ashish Kumar Yadav is currently the SP MLA from Etah.
The tenure of previous chairman Ganesh Chaner Pandey had ended on January 15.