Reopen Gandhi Setu,High Court tells govt

The Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court directed the state government on Thursday to reopen the Gandhi Setu,which has been closed for more than a year now,for the public by April 2.

Written by Express News Service | Lucknow | Published: February 19, 2010 4:37:44 am

The Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court directed the state government on Thursday to reopen the Gandhi Setu,which has been closed for more than a year now,for the public by April 2.

Hearing a PIL of Gomti Nagar Jan Kalyan Samiti,the Bench comprising Justices Pradeep Kant and Shabihul Hasnain rejected the government’s argument that Gandhi Setu was closed as a park was being developed alongside Gandhi Setu.

“The court reminded the government that through an undertaking in September 2009,it had promised to soon open Gandhi Setu for public usage,” said B K Singh,petitioner’s counsel.

“We have submitted that since the park is being developed on both sides of the Gandhi Setu,it has been closed because of security reasons. Now,it is proposed to be open from April 2,” said D K Upadhyaya,chief standing counsel.

The court also took note of the frequent accidents being reported at the Samta Mulak crossing and sought to know from the government whether it had taken clearance from the experts before constructing such a crossing.

“Beside seeking the details of the accidents taking place at the crossing,the court asked the government to submit the details of the height of the wall and the statues installed at the crossing,” said Singh.

Singh told the court that the traffic coming from Gomti Nagar faces inconvenience in going towards Gomti Barrage,Bhaisakund and Nishatganj,as the passage allowing traffic in that direction had been closed in the wake of rising number of accidents.

“The court asked the government to inform about the alternative arrangements made for commuters,” said Singh.

For all the latest Lucknow News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement