Pro-quota students take protest to House doors

UPPSC: Mulayam had no business issuing directives ,say protesters

Written by Express News Service | Lucknow | Published: July 31, 2013 5:42:49 am

Pro-quota candidates,opposing the withdrawal of Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (Mains) 2011 results following SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s intervention,reached Lucknow on Tuesday and staged a protest in front of the Assembly. Demanding the implementation of the commission’s May 27 decision,the protesters “warned” the state government of an intensified stir. Some students also suffered injuries following a police lathi-charge while on way to the Samajwadi Party’s office in the capital.

“Even if we are scoring more than general category students,the existing system pushes us aside,” one Ajay Kumar Yadav alleged. Student leaders,while demanding a meeting with the SP chief,questioned UPPSC’s decision to follow Mulayam’s “directives”,who,they said,has no such constitutional authority.

Mainly from Allahabad — the centre for both pro and anti-quota protests so far — the students shouted anti-SP slogans in the presence of a heavy police force. “UPPSC chairman Anil Yadav had tried to ensure the rights of the OBCs and SC/STs. But it was all undone by an SP leader,” Dinesh Singh Yadav said,alluding to Mulayam. Dinesh had won the Student Union elections at Allahabad University last year with SP’s backing. “Our demand is that if a candidate secures equal to or more marks than a general category candidate,he should be included in the general category list for interview,” Dinesh said.

UPPSC had on May 27 decided to call the OBC candidates,who had scored equal or more marks than the lowest cut off for general category,as general category students at the interview stage,and declared its Mains 2011 result on July 4. However,on Friday,a delegation led by Allahabad SP leader Ranjana Bajpai met Mulayam and demanded withdrawal of the result,which was done by evening.

Addressing the crowd,Varanasi MLA and Apna Dal general secretary Anupriya Patel,too,alleged prejudice during the interview stage and called for a “multi-community interview panel,” with the presence of at least one person each from the minority,SC/ST,backward and general category. “We don’t want the food security Bill or the laptops. Give us our right and we can arrange our own food,” she said to a cheering crowd.

“Twenty-two years into the Mandal report,OBC’s representation in Class I services remains as low as 4.7 per cent. And 60 years into reservation,the SC/ST’s representation is just 12 per cent,” Patel said. “If reservation continues to be implemented in this manner,it will require another 75 years for the OBCs to fill the 27 per cent quota,” she said.

The matter is currently before Allahabad High Court,which has reserved its order.

For all the latest Lucknow News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement