Saturday, Oct 01, 2022

Muzaffarnagar Riot Cases: 10 months on, cops wait for DNA report to confirm identity of riot victim

In his complaint, Shakeel’s son had named 22 people of the Jat community for killing his father.

For the last 10 months, the Special Investigation Cell (SIC) probing the 2013 Muzaffarnagar riot cases is awaiting a DNA report to proceed into the murder case of 45-year-old Shakeel, who went missing after communal violence erupted in the district.

In his complaint, Shakeel’s son Dilshad had named 22 people — all belonging to the Jat community — for killing his father and later setting ablaze the body. The case was filed at Fugana police station in Muzaffarnagar. No one has been arrested yet.

On September 8, 2013, a charred body was recovered near Dilshad’s house at Bahadi village in Muzaffarnagar. Dilshad claimed that the deceased was his father. In June last year, the police had taken Dilshad’s blood sample to conduct DNA profiling with the charred body. But the report is yet to arrive. Investigating officer (IO) of the case, Inspector Dharampal Tyagi, said the police will proceed after it receives the DNA report.


Subscriber Only Stories
How European colonisers observed and documented Durga Puja celebrations i...Premium
Useless meetings waste time and $100 million a year for big companiesPremium
Jasprit Bumrah has Sushil Kumar like intimidating aura, without him India...Premium
To better track PLI claims, Govt floats digital platforms for data sharingPremium

Though Shakeel, a farmer, was a native of Bahadi in Muzaffarnagar, under revenue records, the village falls in bordering Shamli district.

Former IO of the case, Mahadeen Verma — who had retired in November, last year — said that on September 8, 2013, the police had recovered the charred body from a field at Laak, which is around 2 km from Shakeel’s house.

The unclaimed body was sent for postmortem where doctors advised that the body parts be preserved for DNA profiling, as it was beyond recognition. Verma said after the postmortem, Dilshad visited the police station and claimed that body belongs to his father. He took possession of the the body and buried it.

Later, Dilshad got an FIR lodged against 22 people on charges of dacoity and murder.


The police probe found that body claimed by Dilshad was that of a 25-year-old youth. Dilshad was then asked him to show the place where he had buried the body. As he failed to do so, the police decided to go for DNA profiling.

In June last year, Dilshad’s blood sample was collected and sent to Hyderabad for DNA profiling with the preserved parts of the body. ASP (SIC) Manoj Kumar Jha said though they have sent regular reminders to the laboratory, they are yet to receive the DNA report.

Dilshad alleged that on September 8, 2013, a group of Jats had visited his house and asked his father to accompany them. “After the riots started, I searched for my father and found his bicycle in a field. Later, coming to know that unclaimed bodies have been found, I went to the police and identified one body as that of my father’s,” Dilshad said.

First published on: 03-03-2015 at 01:13:23 am
Next Story

In Rajya Sabha, Mukul’s seat shifted to make way for Derek

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments