Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav met veteran leader Amar Singh at the latter’s residence here on Monday, once again triggering speculation about rapprochement and latter’s possible return to the party. Mulayam also escorted Singh to the Iftar party hosted by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav at his official residence later in the evening.
Both Mulayam and Singh shared the stage during the Iftar party and were seen talking to each other jovially. Most of the senior Samajwadi Party leaders, including MLAs and ministers attended the meeting.
Earlier in the day, Mulayam had reached Singh’s residence at Gomti Nagar here and stayed there for about an hour, party sources said. The party, however, termed it an informal meeting and did not elaborate on what transpired in it.
- UP: Akhilesh, Mulayam Singh vacate official residences, to reside in bungalows at Sultanpur road
- Uttar Pradesh: Akhilesh Yadav moves out of govt bungalow
- Mulayam, Akhilesh move SC, seek time to vacate homes
- Mulayam Singh tries to get around SC order, UP tells ex-CMs to vacate official bungalows
- UP govt to study SC order on ex-CMs retaining official residences: Maya to Akhilesh to Rajnath, all hit
- Behind Rajya Sabha berth of Amar Singh, two years of perseverance, patience
The latest meeting between Mulayam and Singh comes two months after UP cabinet minister Shivpal Yadav claimed that the expelled leader will himself announce re-joining the Samajwadi Party in a press conference. On his part, Singh had held meeting with Akhilesh along with a British delegation before CM left for Germany visit.
Singh, who is in political wilderness, had continued to meet the Yadav family terming them as his “parivar”. His political ventures, after resigning from the SP, including forming his own outfit Rashtriya Lok Manch in 2012 UP Assembly elections, and contesting as Rashtriya Lok Dal candidate in 2014 parliamentary polls, failed. He even tried to revive his connections with the Congress and also met BJP leader Om Mathur but nothing materialised. In the meantime, his Rajya Sabha tenure also ended. There is speculation that Samajwadi Party may offer him Rajya Sabha seat in 2016.
SP leaders also claimed that former MP Jaya Prada, who too was expelled from the party, may be sent to Legislative Council and inducted as a Minister in Akhilesh cabinet.