February 9, 2009 2:15:00 am
The governments drive against mafias and criminals notwithstanding,around 50 case files on crimes against public representatives have gone missing from various courts and police stations.
The cases relate to jailed Member of Parliament Atiq Ahmad,SP legislator Mohd Azam Khan,jailed legislator Mukhtar Ansari,BSP leader Dhnanjay Singh and former legislator from Gorakhpur Harishankar Tiwari.
According to the official website of the Uttar Pradesh government upgov.nic.in under the miscellaneous information category,14 files on Hari Shankar Tiwari,17 on Dhnanjay Singh,two on Mukhtar Ansari,two on Atiq Ahmad and three on Azam Khan are untraceable or damaged. All these heinous crimes,including murder and attempt to murder,were executed in the state capital.
The 14 missing files against Tiwari pertain to murder,attempt to murder and kidnapping. They had been kept in Kotwa,Cantt and GRP and Rajghat police stations.
On record,two files on Atiq Ahmad have been missing. Four more are reportedly missing from district courts and two police stations Khuldabad and Dhoomanganj.
The website also mentions that three cases against Azam Khan two filed in 1989 and one in 1992 kept at Sahzad Nagar and Kotwali police stations are untraceable.
The site also records that the government failed to trace the status of around 17 cases against Dhananjay Singh,who recently joined the BSP.
As per the information on the website,records of two cases against jailed legislator Mukhtar Ansari were missing from Mau police station. Records of two cases against former legislator Fagu Chauhan were also missing from the same place.
The file of a case against former legislator Kapil Deo Yadav is also untraceable from Mau police station,the website says. Besides,a case file against the former legislator from Gorakhpur,JP Yadav,for a 1999 murder and under the Arms Act is missing as well.
Files of three cases against former legislator Kazim Ali have been missing from Kotwali,Rampur.
The Inspector General (IG) of Allahabad zone,SK Shukla,said he had initiated an inquiry to trace the records of missing cases against Atiq Ahmad.
I am not sure records of how many cases are missing but six have come to light, he said.
Ram Deo,IG (Gorakhpur) said he did not have any information regarding the missing of files of Hari Shankar Tiwari and other public representatives as he had just joined the posting. He,however,added that he would look into the matter and punish the guilty if the charges were found true.
Lost but not found
* Hari Shankar Tiwari (Former legislator from Gorakhpur): Records of 14 cases including murder (302),attempt to murder (307),kidnapping,loot and threat are missing or damaged or not available.
* Dhnanjay Singh (BSP candidate from Rari): The state government listed these cases in the official website on the direction of the Allahabad High Court. It says that the status of 17 cases including murder,attempt to murder,kidnapping,loot,threat and other cases were not traceable in the police records.
* Atiq Ahmad (Jailed MP): Records of six cases,of which two came to light,are missing. He has over 100 cases against him,including the murder of BSP legislator Raju Pal. The police have initiated an inquiry in the matter.
* Azam Khan (SP legislator from Rampur): Files of three cases,including two filed in 1989 under Sections 147,353,504 and 355 and one in 1992 under Section 332 missing. The police had booked him for rioting (Section 147),assault on a government servant (Section 332),provocation (Section 355),threat (Section 504) and use force to deter a public servant from discharging his duty (Section 353).
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.