scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Friday, May 20, 2022

Houses for urban poor: Govt cuts down size of scheme

The state government has cut down the number of houses to be constructed for urban poor in the second phase of Kanshiram Shahri Garib Awas Yojna.

Written by Lalmani Verma | Lucknow |
January 2, 2011 3:11:22 am

The state government has cut down the number of houses to be constructed for urban poor in the second phase (2009-10) of Kanshiram Shahri Garib Awas Yojna. The state government had earlier set the target of constructing 91,000 houses in the second phase. But now the government has decided to construct only 42,000 houses in the current phase and develop the remaining houses in the third phase (2010-11).

The construction of these 42,000 flats has already been started and the March is the deadline to complete these houses. “The rest of the houses would be constructed in the third phase of scheme according to revised guidelines. The fresh guidelines for the third phase would be finalised soon,” said Ravindra Singh,Additional Cabinet Secretary and Principal Secretary of Housing and Urban Planning Department.

“The target has been revised owning to lack of beneficiaries and unavailability of land for development of houses in some districts,” said another housing official.

The Kanshiram Shahri Garib Awas Yojna was announced in 2008 with an aim to provide 1.01 lakh free houses to urban poor every year. In the first phase (2008-09) of scheme,over one lakh houses were constructed. The houses were constructed by development agencies like UP Housing and Development Board (UPHDB) and the development authorities.

Best of Express Premium

DU’s Hindu College professor arrested for post on ‘Shivling&#...Premium
UPSC CSE Key – May 20, 2022: What you need to read todayPremium
On trial MVA govt as BJP, Centre take on each other in courtsPremium
Explained: The Krishna Janmabhoomi case in Mathura, and the challenge to ...Premium

Following unavailability of beneficiaries,the state government had relaxed the eligibility norms of the scheme for the second phase and set the target to construct about 91,000 houses. UPHDB was assigned the work of constructing over 45,000 flats in 46 districts and the development authorities of constructing the remaining flats in 25 districts. But following complaints of poor quality of construction in some districts like Farrukhabad and Bahraich,the construction was stopped across the state in July.

Later the government allowed to restart the construction of those houses where construction was started by July 31. The construction of the remaining 64,000 houses was kept on hold. Later the government found that development agencies in some districts had signed the agreement with contractors for construction of more houses by August. All such houses were allowed to be constructed later in November. However,the remaining around 50,000 houses were decided to be developed in the third phase.

After this decision,only 6,400 houses would be constructed in Lucknow and 1500 in Kanpur.

For all the latest Lucknow News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement