The Allahabad High Court on Tuesday issued notice to Rajesh Talwar,father of slain teenager Arushi Talwar,on a petition filed by the CBI challenging bail granted to him by a Ghaziabad court in the Arushi-Hemraj double murder case.
Rajesh and wife Nupur had to surrender before the CBI court in Ghaziabad by March 14 and face trial in the double murder case. However,the two have not yet surrendered. The court will hear the matter next on May 7.
A single judge bench of Justice Balakrishna Narayana issued the notice on the CBI plea that challenged the March 14 order of the lower court. Our contention was that the Supreme Court had granted Rajesh Talwar an interim bail till February 4. Rajesh,through his counsel,had approached the lower court seeking extension of his bail on the plea that the Supreme Court had already given him regular bail, said CBI counsel Anurag Khanna.
Earlier,the CBI had opposed the plea for regular bail,filed by Rajesh Talwar and disposed of on March 14. We had told the court that Rajesh has still not been granted regular bail by the Supreme Court. Therefore,he should first appeal for regular bail before it is extended. However,the court granted regular bail to Rajesh, Khanna said.
Arushi,daughter of the dentist couple,was found murdered in her house in Noida on May 16,2008. A day later,the body of the households domestic help,Hemraj,was found on the terrace of the house. The CBI,initially,named three domestic helps as accused. However,it could not find any evidence against them. The agency then filed a closure report in December 2010,which was not accepted and the court asked the couple to stand trial.
Last month,the Supreme Court rejected the plea of Rajesh and Nupur to shift the proceedings against them from a Ghaziabad court to Delhi. A bench of justices B S Chauhan and J S Khehar said there was adequate security in the Ghaziabad court and inconvenience to the Talwar couple could not be a ground to transfer the trial to Delhi.