Follow Us:
Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Fire at hospital in Moradabad kills two siblings

A youth and his elder sister were charred to death when a fire broke out in a private hospital in Moradabad district on Sunday early morning.

Written by Express News Service | Lucknow | Published: July 2, 2012 4:15:09 am

A youth and his elder sister were charred to death when a fire broke out in a private hospital in Moradabad district on Sunday early morning.

Their bodies were found in a niche,about 3 feet deep,near the stairs where the exhaust fan connected to the split air conditioning system was placed and which,too,caught fire.

The police suspect Nadeem Akhtar (25) and Nikhat Aara (27) accidentally fell into the niche while running to the terrace amid heavy smoke. Both were in the Vinayak Orthopedics Centre attending to their mother Bashar Jahan,who was admitted there a day before.

The police suspect the fire broke out due to short circuit. Fire tenders were pressed into service. It took two hours for the firemen and police to bring the situation under control. An inquiry has been ordered. The double-storey building of the hospital is located in Civil Lines area of Moradabad.

Station Officer of Civil Lines police station Hindveer Singh said the postmortem report of both victims stated they died from burning. “Since it was not possible to come out of the building through the main gate because the fire had spread there,people ran to the terrace and crossed over to the adjacent building,” said Singh. The patients have been shifted to another private hospital.

“The mother of the victims is safe. We have been told she reached the terrace with the help of some people and then crossed to the neighbouring building,” said the SO.

There were around 30 people in the hospital when the fire broke out. Eight people were admitted to general ward and three patients were in the private ward.

The police said that in the wee hours,the air conditioner in the general ward of the hospital caught fire. The attendants tried to control the fire but it spread fast. The authorities informed the police and the fire department. The general ward is on the first floor of the building.

According to SO,when the fire broke out,Nadeem was sleeping on the terrace along with his cousin Farhad. Nikhat was sleeping with her mother in the general ward. On hearing the commotion,Nadeem and Farhad ran to the first floor. After reaching the general ward,both found that most of the patients and their attendants had moved out. Nadeem found his sister inside the ward. He took her out and rushed to the stairs. While climbing the stairs,they fell into the niche and got trapped,police said.

Additional SP Mahendra Yadav said an inquiry has been ordered.

For all the latest Lucknow News, download Indian Express App