Differently-abled sportsman dies in Muri Express

Azharuddin was returning from an inter-state sports meet for differently-abled persons in Patiala.

By: Express News Service | Allahbad | Published: June 10, 2014 10:56:29 am
A 24-YEAR-OLD differently-abled power lifter died after falling unconscious aboard Muri Express, on his way from Jammu to Jamshedpur Sunday night. The incident occurred between Allahabad and Mirzapur railway stations.
Government Railway Police (GRP) officials said post-mortem was being conducted, although no foul play is being suspected.  The GRP officials also denied non-availability of drinking water in the coaches as the cause of death.  According to GRP officials, Mohammad Azharuddin, of Jamshedpur, was returning from a six-day inter-state sports meet for differently-abled persons in Patiala.
He was part of the Jharkhand contingent that had over a dozen participants and two trainers. They had boarded the Muri Express in S-7, a three-tier sleeper coach, at Jammu Saturday evening. “Our control room received a message Sunday evening that the body of a 24-year-old man had to be taken down. When the train reached Mirzapur around 8.45 pm, we got the person examined by a railway doctor, who declared him dead,” said Inspector (GRP), Mirzapur, Jai Prakash Singh.  “The whole contingent and the two trainers have stayed back,” he said.
Preliminary inquiries revealed that Azharuddin, who suffered from a congenital mental ailment, had gone to train toilet at Allahabad railway station.  “There, he fell unconscious. His trainers transferred him to the adjacent B-2 coach — a three-tier AC coach — thinking he may have fallen unconscious due to heat.  However, the youngster’s condition worsened and he passed away within 10 to 15 minutes. By then, the train had left Allahabad and the next stop was Mirzapur,” Singh said.
The GRP added that passengers of Muri Express had agitated for the lack of water in train toilets in some of the non-AC coaches.
“The railway authorities were informed about it and the train moved forward after about an hour with the assurance that the water would be filled up at Chopan,” he said.
Singh, however, denied that Azharuddin had died due to lack of drinking water. “The trainers have told us that they were carrying a large number of packaged drinking bottles,” he said.


For all the latest Lucknow News, download Indian Express App