A 40-year-old man,Jatin Prasad (40),who died on July 24 at the SGPGI,has tested positive for the H1N1 virus. The test results came after his death.
Prasad,a resident of Badaun,was admitted to SGPGI on July 12 with a number of problems including multiple organ damage due to diabetes. Shifted to the Endocrinology ward on July 14,he suffered a cardiac arrest,after which he was shifted to the Intensive Care Unit.
He was a chronic smoker and alcoholic and was also being treated for tuberculosis, said Prof AK Baronia,Head of the Department of Critical Care Medicine and In Charge of the ICU. He had severe septic shock,and failed kidneys and infection in lungs. After his death,tests showed that he was H1N1 positive. But there were multiple causes for his death and it cannot be completely attributed to H1N1, Baronia added. The case is yet to be reported as a swine flu death at the H1N1 control room.