Accusing Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his team of only “marketing Gujarat” in Varanasi, the Congress has planned to oppose former’s visit to his parliamentary on July 16, when he is scheduled to inaugurate the trauma centre at BHU and launch the Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS), which promises 24×7 power for all.
Senior Congress leaders including party’s Legislative Council leader Naseeb Pathan and local MLA Ajai Rai will lead a protest dharna outside PM’s parliamentary office in the temple town on July 14. As a first step, the party took out a march on Monday to gather support from locals
“We will hold a dharna on Tuesday in protest of PM’s visit because in the name of development of Varanasi, he is only promoting Gujarat and its industrialists here. Moreover, crores of money is being wasted in making lavish arrangements for his visits, which are later canceled. This is all tax-payers’ money,” claimed Ajai Rai, Congress MLA from Pindari, who had unsuccessfully contested against Modi from Varanasi in last year’s Lok Sabha polls.
- AAP sit-in: People of Delhi victims, says Rahul Gandhi
- AAP dharna Highlights: After Kejriwal, Kerala CM Vijayan seeks PM Modi’s intervention
- Politicians gather in Palghar to oppose bullet train project
- Gujarat Congress to celebrate May 26, the day PM Modi took oath, as ‘Day of Betrayal’
- Karnataka elections: Sonia Gandhi to address first election rally in nearly two years
- Karnataka elections LIVE: PM Modi rode to power on promise of reducing fuel prices, why is he unable to curtail them, asks Rahul Gandhi
“For different development works being undertaken in Jayapur village adopted by Prime Minister, majority work is being given to Gujarat based companies, which includes the procurement of toilet seats,” claimed Sarvesh Tiwari, president of Eastern Zone of Youth Congress, who is camping in Varanasi for the protest.
District Congress president P N Sharma, said, “Congress leaders would first start a march from the main gate of BHU and would move towards PM’s parliamentary office, which is about 2km away. We will sit on dharna outside his office and raise slogans.”
He said that format of July 16 protest would be planned on Tuesday evening.