At least 81 staff members of five-star hotel Shangri-La,Central Delhi,fell ill and had to be rushed to a hospital after they consumed the food served at the staff canteen.
No guests were among those affected by food poisoning,which was reported during the lunch hours on Wednesday,police said.
While one of the employees is still under observation,all others were discharged after treatment.
A few staff members said half an hour after lunch many employees started to complain of nausea,severe stomach ache and feeling of uneasiness. As their condition worsened,they were rushed to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
T S Sidhu,Medical Superintendent at RML,said,The staff members reported to the hospital emergency with symptoms of mild food poisoning like stomachache and nausea. After being administered basic treatment like anti-vomiting injections and medicine,most of them were discharged in less than two hours.
Doctors at the hospital said the problem occurred due to consumption of stale food at the canteen.
A case of endangering others life and personal safety has been registered at Connaught Place police station. Additional Commissioner of Police (New Delhi) K C Dwivedi said the matter was being probed and efforts were on to establish culpability.
A statement issued by the Shangri-La management stated: At approximately 4 pm today,more than 70 colleagues reported feeling unwell. The hotels in-house doctor immediately attended to them and subsequently,some were sent to RML Hospital for further medical assistance. Shangri-La maintains stringent hygiene policies and adheres to the governments Food Safety Management System to ensure a clean and safe environment for our colleagues,and the management team will be closely monitoring the health status of the colleagues.