Work on East-West metro to kick off on February 21

The East-West metro corridor project between Salt Lake in the east and Howrah on the western side of the Hooghly is set to take off on February 21...

Written by Sabyasachi Bandopadhyay | Kolkata | Published: February 11, 2009 2:33:07 am

The East-West metro corridor project between Salt Lake in the east and Howrah on the western side of the Hooghly is set to take off on February 21,when Union Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy will lay the foundation stone for the project.

Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee will also be present at the function.

The state government has also requested Union External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee to be present at the function that will be held near Salt Lake Stadium,the place slated to be the terminal station in the east.

Originally,the project was to cost Rs 4,676 crore but as the state government recommended the extension of the project from Howrah station to Howrah Maidan,an additional sum of Rs 198 crore will have to be spent.

On Tuesday,Bhattacharjee wrote to Mukherjee requesting him to convene a meeting of empowered committee of Union ministers to clear the extension plan,which was given a go-ahead on Monday a committee headed by Union Cabinet Secretary KM Chandrasekhar.

While 25 per cent of the total cost of the project will be borne by the state government,the rest 75 per cent will be provided as loan by the Japan Bank for International Co-operation.

The East-West metro will cover a distance of 14.67 km and the extension will cover a distance of another 900 metres.

From Salt Lake stadium,where the first terminal station will be set up,the route will run through eastern and central Kolkata and from there it will cross Hooghly underneath.

By 2011-end,the first phase of the project will be completed,according to the state government officials.

For all the latest Kolkata News, download Indian Express App